Lawyers: JOIN NOW

Winter Ice Hazards and Legal Liability

The Advocate Files: Personal Injury | Winter Ice Hazards and Legal Liability


Winter Ice Hazards and Legal Liability

By David Hollingsworth

Landlords are generally liable for injuries to people and damage to property caused by falling ice and icicles on their properties, says Ottawa personal injury lawyer David Hollingsworth.

“The Occupiers’ Liability Act requires you to keep the property reasonably safe by clearing the icicles away or by cordoning off the area,” he says. “If you’re a landlord, the Residential Tenancies Act requires you to clear the ice.”

Hollingsworth, principal of Ottawa Personal Injury Lawyers, says the landlord or homeowner is also potentially liable if someone is hurt on his or her property because of a slip and fall caused by ice on the ground. They may also be legally responsible for an incident on a neighbouring property if the source of the hazard originated from their side, he says.

Municipalities may require people to clear snow and ice from public sidewalks adjacent to their property, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they will be held responsible for any injuries caused by their failure to do so, Hollingsworth says.

An Ontario Court of Appeal ruling found that in only two scenarios where someone bears a responsibility for damages caused on municipal property: when the public area is rendered dangerous due to the actions of the home or business owner — for example, water flowing from their land onto the footpath — and when the owner assumes control of it, such as extending a café’s serving area onto a sidewalk.

“We have had many cases involving sandwich board signs placed on sidewalks where the business owner was found liable,” Hollingsworth says.

He says, because there are so many scenarios that may require legal guidance, it’s prudent to be proactive in clearing ice and water hazards. For example, if a chunk of ice fell from a building or home and landed on a vehicle, the insurer would seek out the owner of the property where the ice originated for compensation, Hollingsworth says.

“If your neighbours have overhanging ice and it could create a peril on your property, you may want to call them or the city bylaw office to have it removed,” he says.

Ice on a neighbour’s property will eventually melt, causing water to flow onto yours and it will later freeze if the temperature drops, Hollingsworth says.

“That’s a risk you have to be aware of, especially if it forms ice on a sidewalk used by pedestrians,” he says.


Does this article speak to you? Was it helpful?

The points discussed above are from a personal injury lawyer in Ottawa that focuses his practice on personal injury law. If you or a loved one has been injured in a snow and ice related slip and fall accident, contact David Hollingsworth for a free, no obligation consultation.

View the profile of this Ottawa personal injury lawyer


This and other articles / posts originally appeared on the now defunct As expressed in writing by that website’s owner, the articles / posts, part of a paid service provided by Advocate Daily, are the intellectual property of the lawyer and/or legal service provider who wrote, or for whom the article / post was written and they are free to use as they wish. All articles / posts redeployed on Top Lawyers are done with the expressed consent of the professionals mentioned in said article / post.

Sponsored Ads: Firms to Keep Top of Mind

Lawyers: Join Today!

  • Increase your online visibility.
  • Drive traffic to your existing website.
  • Grow your legal practice.
  • Don't see your city and/or practice area?
    Just let us know - We can add it!
  • Click here for details.

Call: (Local) 416-988-4LAW (4529)
Call: (Toll Free) 1-888-645-5228

Experienced Lawyers To Help With Your Legal Needs

One of the things that differentiates Top Lawyers from other directories is our exclusivity. As our name suggests, we only list experienced lawyers that meet strict, minimum practice, experience and/or recognition requirements.

These requirements include:
(One or more of the following)

  • Awarded the recognition of “Queen’s Counsel” (Q.C. Designation)
  • Recognized by their Bar Association or Law Society as a “Certified Specialist”
  • Partner in a law firm and in good standing with the legal governing body of their province
  • Have practiced in their preferred area of law for a minimum of ten years

What does this mean to you, the general public?

You can have confidence in selecting and retaining the experienced lawyers listed here. They have "Been there. Done that" and bring their considerable knowledge and skill to support every case they undertake. After all...

"When you really need a lawyer - You want a Top Lawyer.™"